According to Google, users accessing web sites over mobile devices up to 50 precent. For this reason, WordPress site owners sure loads site so quickly. Fortunately, Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) initiative makes it easy to do.
We are going to use simple WordPress plugin called AMP for WordPress
How WordPress AMP Reveals (And How It Benefits Your Site)
Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is an open source library that helps you create fast, streamlines and lean versions of your web pages so they look better on mobile devices. AMP is built on existing platforms and frameworks and is very user friendly. It’s compatible with WordPress.
Google AMP has a lot of benefits. Let’s explore good and bad sides of AMP. First start with negatives.
- Only the pages on the front page are displayed. The reason why the high speeds provided by Google AMP is possible is because it shows the versions of the web pages in their cache. For this reason, your users may not always be able to reach the most up-to-date content you publish.
- Limitations on advertising revenue. Although Google has AMP ad support, the process of processing these ads is quite complicated. It also has limited compatibility with external advertising platforms.
On the other side, there are very good positive benefits.
- Better user experience. It is estimated that 33% of potential sales are canceled when a website is not optimized for mobile devices. According to another research, 57% of internet users do not recommend doing business with a badly designed mobile website. Google AMP makes it easy to create user-friendly mobile web pages, preventing you from falling into these situations.
- Increased server performance. Google AMP benefits from Google’s key optimization features. Reduces Internet usage for images by 50% (without compromising image quality) and increases server-side rendering. By reducing the load on your server, AMP helps improve your site’s performance.
- Strengthen Search Engine Optimization (SEO). One of the most obvious benefits of Google AMP is the speed with which websites load faster. Your upload speed is much more visible on your site, as your pages have vital search engine ranking on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs). Google AMP also allows your site to appear in the Google News section (which will make your SEO even stronger).
You will need a AMP for WordPress plugin to setup your site AMP. We recommend that you back up your WordPress site before going through the following methods. Once you’ve done that, you’re ready to start.
AMP for WordPress plugin is a great tool for WordPress AMP installation. In the regular version, although there are very few features to personalize the AMP installation, your options can be enhanced via other plugins. We’ll explain this process later, too, now let’s look at how we can build the plugin itself.
First open the Plugins> Add New section in the WordPress panel. Type ‘AMP for WordPress’ in the search bar and find the AMP plugin for WordPress result. Then load and activate the plugin
Then open the Appearance > AMP section from the WordPress panel. Here you will see the WordPress AMP settings section. Once open, open the Design tab.
From here, you can change the look of your WordPress AMP site and you will be able to preview the changes before they are applied on your site. You can change the text, link and background color of your site. Plus it is possible to specify a dark or light color scheme for your site. After completing the changes, click the Publish button in the top section.
You can also make your words, pages, or both appear on WordPress AMP. To do this, go back to the WordPress panel and open the AMP> General section.
Once you’ve turned it on, under Post Type Support, check the options you want for your WordPress AMP site, then click the Save Changes button.